Over the northeastern flank climbing in the footsteps of the first ascender to the top of the Manaslu.
“The mountain of the soul”, the translation of the name of a mountain with an exciting mountaineering history. In 1956, first ascended by a Japanese expedition, there still is an intense debate about the first descent with skis on an 8000er and whether it was accomplished by the two Austrians Josef Millinger and Peter Wörgötter at the Manaslu in 1981 or by Ives Morin at the Annapurna in 1979. The spirits are still divided about the exact definition.
But this should not bother us. We simply want to climb this beautiful and technical relatively easy 8.163m high mountain. And feel free to bring your skis if you want to. There is hardly any other mountain above 8.000 m that is more attractive for skiing than this one. The Furtenbach Adventures expedition targets the route of the first ascenders over the northeastern flank. An experienced team of Sherpas and a dedicated expedition leader ensure that all participants can undertake the ascent attempt at this impressive mountain under the highest safety standards. One of the biggest safety advantages is the possibility of a helicopter rescue in case of emergency, which would not be possible on any similar 8000er in Tibet. We also use the helicopter after the expedition to get from the last village near the base camp back to Kathmandu which shortens the total duration of the expedition.
- Expedition also possible with skis
- Experienced expedition leader
- incl. O2 package
- incl. personal Sherpa
Day 1 – 10: Arrival and Trekking to Basecamp (4.800m)
1. Day: Arrival in Kathmandu, first get-together at the hotel. Pick up at the airport and transfer to the hotel is included! The first day starts very easy – check in at the hotel, get-together with the other expedition members, a chilled beer at the terrace and feel the growing excitement for the upcoming expedition.
2. Day: Day at leisure in Kahtmandu. For those who haven’t been here before – you will love it. Relaxing, shoppin in Thamel, culture or just soak up the flair of the city. Anyone as they wish.
3. Day: Drive to Bhulbule (840 m) and overnight stay at the lodge.
4.-5. Day: Drive to Dharapani 1920 m and trek to Tilje 2300 m. A beautiful hike to the basecamp with perfect acclimatization awaits us.
6. Day: Trek to Bhimthang 3610 m
7. Day: Acclimatization day in Bhimthang. Optional trek in the surrounding area.
8. Day: Trek to Dharamsala 4460 m
9. Day: Trek to Samagoan 3525 m
10. Day: We will reach Manaslu Basecamp at. 4800m
Day 11 - 36: Climbing time
11.-36. Day: Climbing time. The plan is to set up 3 high camps at 5.600 m, 6.550 m and 7.400 m. The last camp will probably be set up at the ascent day.
Day 37 - 43: Descent and Return
37. Day: Descent to Samagoan
38. Day: Trek back to Dharamsala 4460 m
39. Day: Trek to Bhimthang 3610 m
40. Day: Trek back to Dharapani 1920 m
41. Day: Drive from Dharapani to Besisahar and further to Kathmandu
42. Day: Kathmandu. We will enjoy our return to the civilization, with all its amenities while we are waiting for our equipment to arrive from the overland route.
43. Day: End of the expedition / transfer to the airport.
- All organization for the expedition
- IFMGA mountain guide
- 1 climbing sherpa per participant
- O2 package (the latest oxygen system available, rent for mask and regulator, 3 bottles of oxygen)
- 5 nights in single rooms at Hotel in Kathmandu
- All Transfers (jeep / private bus)
- Full board during the whole travel (only breakfast in Kathmandu)
- Beverages during joint meals (no alcoholic beverages)
- Double room accommodation during journey to destination
- Porter / Yak to the base camp and back (30 kg personal luggage / person)
- Sherpa support for the whole group
- 1 tent per member at the base camp
- Mat for the advance and base camp
- High camp equipment (tent, cooker, dishes, food)
- Total securing equipment
- Insurances (helicopter, accident) and equipment for all Nepalese team members
- Emergency oxygen
- Pharmaceutical travel kit, high altitude emergency medicine, pulsoxymeter
- Kitchen team
- Common tent, shower tent, etc at the base camp
- Satellite communication and WIFI for a fee and depending on availability
- Solar charging
- Radio communication for base and high camp
- All fees and permits
- Weather forecast
- Security and warranty of an Austrian tour operator
- International flight to Kathmandu (we will gladly make you an offer)
- Lunch in Kathmandu
- Personal insurance
- Visa for Nepal (available at the airport, passport photo required)
- Personal medicine
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal mountain and climbing equipment
- Sleeping bag for base and high camp
- Mat for high camp
- Fees for satellite phone and emails